Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Kittens and Rodents and Tempeh, oh my!

Let's start with the kittens, shall we?
This would be Henry inside an empty beer case. They sure love boxes!

And here are Henry and Ferdinand snuggling up for a nap. Notice Henry's eye is open? Yeah, he sleeps like that. It's so creepy!

I guess I can't let the rest of the brood feel left out...

Kobe :)

Dwayne (right) and Captain

The very handsome Noel, found Christmas Eve digging in our snowy driveway with a mouth full of french fries.

Josephina in her wheel, getting some exercise.

This is Chester. We spent an insane amount of money getting him neutered so that he wouldn't get Joey pregnant once every 40 days or so! :) They really love each other. If you ever have rodents and live near Saratoga, take them to Upstate Animal Medical Center. Dr. Lucas is totally hip and a whiz with rodents!

Now onto the food! Tempeh Toss is my favorite meal by far! I got the recipe from The Garden of Vegan. I've changed it a little. Here's the original recipe, in case you'd like to make the official dish, then I'll let you know how I make it.

1 cup tempeh, cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium carrot, chopped
1/3 cup shallots, chopped
1 leek, chopped (pale green end only)
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp Braggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped and seeded

In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, saute the tempeh in oil until lightly browned. Add the carrot, shallots, leek, garlic, red pepper flakes and Braggs. Saute until carrots are tender but firm to the bite. Add water, vinegar, red pepper, zucchini and tomato. Cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes until zucchini is tender. Serve on a bed of rice. Makes 2-4 servings.

I don't use the leek, zucchini, tomato or shallots. I use broccoli and occasionally cauliflower when we have it in the house. And I use orange or yellow bell peppers because they're my favorites. I use 4 cloves garlic (the more the better!) and I use more than 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes because I like it spicy! I might try the original recipe sometime, but it's just so delicious the way I make it!

Here's the finished product, along with some fresh bread from the bread machine! Yummy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

AddThis

Bookmark and Share