Sunday, August 09, 2009

Vegan Shepherds Pie

This is one of those things that I make that don't really have a recipe. I mean, I'm sure there are recipes out there, but I don't use one. So here is my process...

Vegan Shepherds Pie is one of my favorite dinners (shown here with some homemade Olive Oil and Thyme Bread).


I use Yves Meatless Ground, frozen corn (sometimes we add other veggies as well), mashed potatoes and gravy. That's it! How much easier can dinner get? I'm thinking about trying this with lentils instead of the fake beef next time.

Mashed Potatoes:
I use 6 large potatoes or 8-10 small/medium ones. Wash them, but leave the skin on. Cut into chunks and boil until tender. Use masher and mix in soymilk and vegan margarine (we use Earth Balance). Add any spices you like! I like onion, garlic and parsley.

Yves Meatless Ground can be found in most supermarkets. They have it at Hannaford, near the tofu and tempeh in the produce section. I'm not sure about Price Chopper. We buy a couple and freeze them so we always have some on hand. So unless I remember to thaw it out before starting, I just pop in into the microwave to thaw. I use one 12 oz package for this meal.

Steam the corn (about 2 cups) while the taters are boiling.

We used to use a vegetarian brown gravy packet for this. I can't remember what brand, but it's not vegan, so we can't use it anymore. The most recent time we had Vegan Shepherds Pie I used a wonderful gravy recipe from Happy Herbivore. It's delicious! Follow her blog, she's a vegan food genius! :) For the stock, we use Better Than Boullion. It's super easy and cheaper than buying the big cartons or little cubes. We do make our own stock sometimes, but we use this when we don't have any on hand.

In a casserole dish layer the meatless ground, gravy, corn and potatoes. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes.

Enjoy!! I'm sure you'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

AddThis

Bookmark and Share